The H-1B visa has an annual numerical limit, or cap, of 65,000 visas (5000 out of these are allocated to professionals from Chile and Singapore) each fiscal year.
The first 20,000 petitions filed on behalf of beneficiaries with a U.S. master’s degree or higher are exempt from the cap.
U.S. Master’s or higher Cap Eligibility:
First 20,000 petitions are set aside for those with U.S. Master’s or higher from institution of higher education, which means an educational institution in any State that–
- admits as regular students only persons having a certificate of graduation from a school providing secondary education, or the recognized equivalent of such a certificate, or persons who meet the requirements of 20 U.S. Code § 1091(d);
- is legally authorized within such State to provide a program of education beyond secondary education;
- provides an educational program for which the institution awards a bachelor’s degree or provides not less than a 2-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward such a degree, or awards a degree that is acceptable for admission to a graduate or professional degree program, subject to review and approval by the Secretary;
- is a public or other nonprofit institution; and
- is accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency or association, or if not so accredited, is an institution that has been granted pre-accreditation status by such an agency or association that has been recognized by the Secretary for the granting of pre-accreditation status, and the Secretary has determined that there is satisfactory assurance that the institution will meet the accreditation standards of such an agency or association within a reasonable time. [not recommended to rely on “in process or pre-accreditation”).
[Check the profile of each university at NCES Data Portal by The Institute of Education Sciences (IES), an arm of the U.S. Department of Education]
For the year 2020, the online registration of H-1B must be done in the month of March 1st to March 20th, 2020 USCIS will only accept those registrations selected in lottery through that online registration system and will indicate filing duration and this duration will of at least 90 days. All cap-subject H-1B petitions filed before April 1, 2020, for the FY 2021 cap will be rejected. Learn more about electronic registration system, here
If you or your employer want to learn more about this topic or H-1B petition in general or about our legal services for the preparation and the filing H-1B petition do contact us at (+1) 202 600 7743, or email us at email@example.com